Hmm .. looks ok to me..

On to theory # 2 :-)

Is the <%= request.getParameter("cmd") %> perhaps throwing an
exception (due to null being returned)? It might be that exception-
catching code (that tomcat auto-inserts when generating .jsp -> .java)
is trying to do a redirect to an error page...I've had problems with this
before.

Why not try putting
<%
 String cmd = "oops";
  try
{
  cmd = request.getParameter("cmd");
}
catch(Throwable t)
{
}
%>

at the top of your page, then using
<%= cmd %> instead of <%= request.getParameter("cmd") %> ??

This should let you know if theory #2 flies or dies :-)

Cheers,

Simon