I found the following lines to uncomment in the sample web.xml file to use
jikes for JSP compiles.

<!-- uncomment the following to use Jikes for JSP compilation

        <init-param>
            <param-name>jspCompilerPlugin</param-name>

<param-value>org.apache.jasper.compiler.JikesJavaCompiler</param-value>
        </init-param>
-->

My question is:  Is that all there is to it or is this just one step in the
process?

I thought that Jikes achieved its performance improvement over javac
partially from being written in native code.  The configuration above seems
to imply a version of Jikes written as a Java class.

If this is some form of wrapper class that will execute jikes,  how do I
tell it where jikes can be found?

Thanks,
Keith