I would also do a serious reality check on the 30,000 concurrent users
number.  After going through something like the drill below you will find
that you have architected yourself one big system.  The sticker shock
alone might be enough for people to go back and seriously reconsider their
numbers.  Marketing people are sometimes on crack.

Bigger sites (like eBay) work on seperating their services.  So their
frontpage is static and gets updated every so often.  The second you
search you are thrown to another server that just does searches.  When you
want to buy/bid you move to another server that just does that.

-e