Ok.  I have this problem but it isn't tomcat that is doing the serving
of the JSP source.  It is apache.  This is my workers2.properties uri
section:

[uri:www.SITENAME.org/*.jsp]
group=lbWWW
[uri:www.SITENAME.org/*.adp]
group=lbWWW
[uri:www.SITENAME.org/*.inc]
group=lbWWW
[uri:www.SITENAME.org/servlet/*]
group=lbWWW
[uri:www.SITENAME.org/*.gs]
group=lbWWW

I am guessing the problem is because
http://www.SITENAME.org/index.jsp%20 is not a match for
http://www.SITENAME.org/*.jsp  (that trailing space messes stuff up.
Should I just create a RedirectMatch for this case that removes all
trailing whitespace?  Would mod_rewrite be better for this?  I am using
this list for this question because I KNOW the apache list doesn't want
tomcat integration questions.
--Angus