Hi

I have included the  org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet
in the web.xml descriptor for my application

<servlet>
     <servlet-name>WebdavServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet</servlet-class

reading the minimal documentation I have been able to find it appears
that  to enable webdav functionality in my application all requests
should go through the webdav servlet
so I set the mapping up as follows(I do have other Servlets of course)

 <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>WebdavServlet</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

Now, everything works fine.

I can view my site and open a web folder from IE6

It all falls down when I try to add security however.

If all requests have to go through the webdav servlet, then if I assign
the following constraint

<security-constraint>
     <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>The Webdav bit</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern> <!-- or just
<url-pattern>/</url-pattern> -->
     </web-resource-collection>
     <auth-constraint>
        <role-name>somerole</role-name>
     </auth-constraint>
   </security-constraint>

this means that no one can see my site unless they log in . Which is not
what I want of course.
I want anyone to be able to view the site but anyone trying to modify
the site should be required to log in.

How do I enable security over the webdav functionality without locking
out anyone that simply wants to view my site ?

Cheers
Confused