At 22:56 26/08/03, you wrote:
I have installed the J2SE and J2EE SDKs to c:\java.
I installed Tomcat to c:\Tomcat.
I have X_HOME variables for both installations in my computers Environment Variables.

The problem is that the SDKs also install a JRE to c:\program files\java\.

When I run Tomcat in a console window, everything runs fine. Tomcat uses JAVA_HOME which has javac.

When Tomcat runs as a service, I assume it is using the JRE in Program Files because JSPs that have not
been compiled cannot be! I receive an error and the logs point to the fact that Tomcat cannot create
the javac process.

Is there a way to set the Tomcat service to use my JAVA_HOME installation instead of the Program Files JRE? Are there any other solutions to this problem? I don't want to have to precompile every JSP page before I put code onto my production box, nor do I want to run my production server in a console window started by hand.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Turansky

I've never experienced the problem (i'm not running NT) but it seems to me that you need to unset your path and set your JAVA_HOME to your java SDK dir. This could be done in tomcat.conf (maybe its .bat on an NT) or otherwise in catalina.bat

"There are 10 types of people when it comes to binary, those that understand it.. and those who don't."