I've done this just recently in fact! I was looking for a means of
monitoring objects within our Tomcat and dicovered JMX. To get to Tomcats
Mbean Server you use the following (I've got it in a GeneralJMX class in a
static method for easy of reuse):

public class GeneralJMX {

   /** Creates a new instance of GeneralJMX */
   public GeneralJMX() {
   }

*
    * Get the MBean server associated with Tomcat.
    *
    * @return the MBean server, or null if one canot be found.
    */

   public static MBeanServer getTomcatMBeanServer() {
      MBeanServer server = null;
      List myList = MBeanServerFactory.findMBeanServer(null);
      if (myList.toArray().length > 0)
         server = (MBeanServer)myList.toArray()[0];

      return server;
   }

}