Sounds to me like an OS resource issue. Total number of allowed open connections, etc. Since it worked on 7.x and not on 9, I would consider that a default changed somewhere, somehow.

John

Also, the same Apache 1.3.X and Tomcat 3.X and 4.X configurations worked
perfectly on Red Hat 7.3, it was not until RH 9 that this began occuring.
The behavior is consistent with Apache 1.3 and Apache 2 on RH 9.  I've tried
re-compiling and all the usual tricks.

Do you use multiple Apaches on the server?