OK, I tried adding the Jk directives directly into the httpd.conf file,
and apache at least starts.  So the problem is the include statement.
Is it possible that I don't have whatever module is needed to support
the "Include" statement?

So now the problem is that although apache starts, it does not start
properly.  When I run ps -aux | grep httpd I get the following:
        www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
        www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
        www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
        www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]

And needless to say I can't get to my web page.  Now again I am getting
those error messages in both my error_log and ssl_engine_log:
        [error]mod_ssl: Child could not open SSLMutex lockfile
/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_mutex.30776 (System error follows)
        [error]System: Permission denied (errno: 13)

So apparently I have a problem with mod_ssl, which I guess I didn't
resolve yesterday and should post to the apache list.  But the question
still remains why using the Include statement would prevent Apache from
starting at all?

Thanks for your help :)
Denise