You are attempting the shutdown too soon (before Tomcat has finished coming
up).  Wait 30sec or so and try again.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi,

I have a problem when I try to shutdown tomcat. I have tried with version
4.1.24 and 4.1.27, but the problem happens with both versions.

When I start the server (with startup.sh), and browse
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp,
and then shutdown it (with shutdown.sh), it works fine. The problem is when
I start it, and then stop it without browsing
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp.
The following is displayed:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2
Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:581)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

After trying to stop it two or three more times, with the same message
displayed,
it stops fine. I have tried to stop the iptables (because I have read
somewhere
that maybe it was a firewall problem), but the same happens.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks very much.