It seems that IBM's JSSE implementation has some limitations using the TLS
protocol.  However, Tomcat seems to work fine if you change the
sslProtocol="SSL".

"Halstead, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
OK, I'm tearing my hair out here ;-)

What's the secret to making SSL work in Tomcat 5.0.12 when running on Linux
with IBM JDK 1.4?  I have followed the steps to the letter (thrice) and have
nothing to show for it yet.  I found that you need to set algorithm to
"IbmX509" in the connector def, which stopped me from getting IOExceptions
in JSSE14SocketFactory.init().  After doing that, the connector initializes
and binds to the port, but attempts to connect with a browser immediately
fail.  Netscape is nice enough to let me know that it could find no ciphers
in common with the server, whereas IE just fails.  Non-secure works great.

I followed the exact same steps on a Sun box running Sun's 1.4 JDK (with the
exact same install set, tarred and moved), and all works just fine.

This happens identically on an i386 machine as well as on an s/390 Linux
partition.

I even tried plopping the JSSE stuff in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext, but no joy.

I have tried using a self-signed cert as well as a demo cert from Verisign.

What on earth am I missing?

-chris