3rd update:

For the 2nd issue below, I had some "http" references in my static html file--that's why I was getting the message about the page having unencrypted elements on it. :-)

I still haven't figured out the 1st issue regarding ports 443/8443, but 443 is the one I want anyhow, so it's not critical that I figure that out (although I'm curious!)

Sonny

From: "Sonny Sukumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

2nd Update:

--I reconfigured the SSL port from 8443 to 443 on our server (as well as the redirect port), and all of a sudden I can connect using SSL. I don't understand why 8443 didn't work. Any ideas??

--Now when I request static HTML pages, I get a browser alert saying that some of the info on the requested page is NOT encrypted, so it displays a lock broken in half instead of the golden lock I so desire. :-( I can't understand how a page would get partially encrypted--especially a static HTML page.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I use Cocoon for the backend (2.1.2) in conjunction with Tomcat (4.1.27) on Linux (RedHat 7.3).

Sonny

From: "Sonny Sukumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Update: I did a "keytool -list" with the "-rfc" options and discovered that all the certs *are* in fact there, but just that public/private key were bundled together under the same alias. The way it lists the certs by default is what confused me.

HOWEVER, I uploaded the keystore to our server, set up server.xml, and restarted Tomcat, but every single secure connection I attempt just times out. I don't understand why this happens.

Here's my server.xml SSL connector:

<!-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
enableLookups="true"
acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
compression="on">
<Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS" keystorePass="changeit"
keystoreFile="conf/.keystore"/>
</Connector>

Btw, does anybody know how to secure the server.xml file? It contains some clear text passwords, so this really concerns me! (Yes, I know "changeit" is the default password even without specifying it here).

Also, I don't currently have any <security-contraint>s set in my web.xml.

Thanks for any insights!

Sonny