Rainer Stransky wrote:

On Sunday 09 November 2003 23:53, Rainer Hoeckmann wrote:

I found that my build.xml was using the deployTask instead of installTask
to implement the "ant install" command. After changing this it went
possible to install my application to Tomcat.

Now I'm wondering where the difference is between "deployTask" and the (not
documented) "installTask"?

I posted the same problem some days ago. But there was no response yet.
I tried your "solution" but in my enviroment:
- Tomcat/5.0.12
- Ant/1.6beta2
- java/1.4.0_03-b04
- OS/Linux-2.4.19-4GB

Some comments:
- Since Tomcat 5 is in beta, you should update regularly, as there's a significant bugfix activity (which has been slowing down after 5.0.14)
- I only test with Ant 1.5.x for now
- The install task is deprecated, and I recommend you use deploy instead
- If you want a ready to use package to precompile and deploy webapps, look at the Tomcat 5 deployer (which is completely optional, of course)
- I think the Ant tasks are quite well documented (see the Tomcat 5 manager and deployer documentation)

So i tried your suggestion, and replaced 'deloy' with 'install' as task in the install target. But the 'install' target is not known by my ant.

Neither deploy nor install is part of the ant core or optional task, i guess they are implemented in catalina-ant.jar which i copied to $ANT_HOME/lib
A look into the jar gives the indication that there are custom tasks org/apache/catalina/ant/DeployTask.class
org/apache/catalina/ant/InstallTask.class

-- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rémy Maucherat Senior Developer & Consultant JBoss Group (Europe) SàRL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx