Yoav,
from my brief experiment, if you don't place it in ROOT, then like the
Kent said it gets deployed twice.

e.g. I put my app in APPBASE/gargantus/ and set the context xml:

path=''
docBase='gargantus'

then I can access my app via http://localhost/ and http://localhost/gargantus/

I'm not sure about 5.x but in 4.x I remember it definitely deployed it twice, as evidenced by the logging.

The way to avoid this is to deploy it in ROOT/

It doesn't affect me too much to worry about it but if I decided I wanted to have a different app at /gargantus/ then I suspect tomcat would cause problems.

Adam