From: Daniel Gibby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: webapp works through Apache, not Tomcat directly
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:55:34 -0800

Maybe you are using a symbolic link and tomcat 4 doesn't follow them by default because of performance.

Daniel Gibby

Jerry Ford wrote:

I have a webapp deployed in Tomcat 4.1.27 which I am able to reach through Apache 1/3/27 (via mod_jk; sorry, didn't build it myself, obtained it as a binary and don't know version---how can I tell?) but cannot reach it by going directly to Tomcat.

Tomcat is configured to listen directly on port 8080 and through mod_jk on port 8009 and in fact I can reach and execute the example servlets by going to either http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets or http://localhost/examples servlets.

I can reach my webapp by going to http://localhost/MyApp.

But when I try to reach http://localhost:8080/MyApp, Tomcat reports resource not available.

The only difference (that I can recall) is that the examples are in their default location, $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples, while my app has been moved to /usr/local/webserver/webapps/MyApp.

The context to MyApp in server.xml is identical to the examples context except for path and name:

<Context path="/MyApp" docBase="/usr/local/webserver/webapps/MyApp" debug="0"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

             prefix="localhost_MyApp_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true" />

</Context>

Nothing is written to the MyApp log when I try to access the app through port 8080 (or when I successfully access it through Apache, either, for that matter).

All are running under Linux (RedHat 9.0).

Any suggestions about what's wrong?

While this condition might otherwise be acceptable (I don't really want to use port 8080), it appears to be interfering with the setting and reading of cookies---I can set them on one page but cannot read them from another, even though Mozilla's cookie manager shows them to be (apparently correctly) configured.

Thanks.

Jerry