Hello
I'm relatively new to using Tomcat, and need help with what (should be) an
easy task.  I've searched through the archives, but haven't found the
information I need.

I'm basically trying to do a mod_rewrite, but using tomcat (without apache
installed).  I've read up on the tuckey.org/urlrewrite, and this
filter seems to handle exactly what I want.  But I can't get it to work.

As I understand it, the steps would be :
1 ) Download the jar files and put them into a urlrewrite directory off
the WEB-INF directory.
2)  Alter the web.xml file to include this filter (using code straight
form the tuckey.org site)
3)  Alter the urlrewrite file to include the rules that I want (some basic
substitutions from google-searchable URLs ex.  /pageid/ ->  &pageid= )
4)  Restart tomcat.

However, as soon as I add the filter code into the web.xml file, all
requests return a 404 error (whether the request uses the filter or not).

This seems like such an easy task, but I can't get it to work.  If anybody
can please point out something I'm overlooking, I would appreciate it.

I'm using tomcat 4.1 on Win2K server.

Thanks,
Duane