I forgot to add that I did change everything to the full path and is still
failed. I know one day I'll stumble across the needle in the haystack as to
why it is giving me fits. I will definitely try your debug suggestion. That
option for some reason never crossed my mind. But at least now I can
continue on with the project. :-)

I should also point out to anybody that wants to implement JAAS into Tomcat,
one problem I found submitting the login to j_security_check is that it
would screw up the url for the login.jsp page by putting it under the path
of the servlet directory. I had setup Tomcat security to protect the servlet
acceess. For instance, my login.jsp was under the main context directory as
"http://localhost/context/login.jsp"; but the url in the browser got set to
"http://localhost/context/servlet/login.jsp"; This hosed me until I figured
out a "band aid" work around by putting the following code in my login.jsp
page:

if(request.getRequestURL().toString().endsWith("/servlet/login.jsp"))
    response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL("../login.jsp"));

It's not a solution though, but I could never find any info out there on how
to fix this problem or more importantly what is the cause.

But, if anybody out there needs any help with configuring JAAS into Tomcat
5, let me know. I've integrated LDAP authentication into the process as
well...works beautifully...finally. :-) I'll be happy to share my code in
order to prevent others from suffering from massive manual hair folicle
extraction. :-)

Now to get this thing to work on my Linux box. :-)

Steve Miller