Harry Mantheakis wrote:

If your firewall drops idle connections after some time, you will need
to tune a couple of settings.

In your sysctl settings for the Apache machine, set your tcp keepalive
time to a value lower than the drop time of your firewall.

I have a very strict firewall policy on my Linux box - using iptables. Only
port 80 packets get through. Nothing else.

Does that have something to do with my problem? Is there an ICMP port that I
need to open up?

It does sound more like a firewalling issue. I'd doubt its the iptables, though, unless you have squid running on your Linux box ? Also, do you connect to the Oracle DB through VPN or another secure link? I know of many corporate VPN servers, Proxies set up by default to drop connections inactive for a specific amount of time, which is more or less what you're seeing.

To corroborate this, I would set up a simple TCP server on the Linux box with an open connection to the Oracle backend and leave it open and see if I'd get similar results.

-- A