Here's an interesting thing --
I just make the change of adding to /etc/profile: the JAVA_HOME & CATALINA_HOME, restarted tomcat and the JSP example that normally fails works. If I reload the page and it fails with the compiler not found error but if I go back and reclick it works.... (this is on 5.0.16).

I guess I have to deploy my little test app. I've got it showing up in the manager but never compiling ...

erin - who thinks this JSP example compiling may be a fluke... I'm going back to the tutorial and see if they offer any more tidbits!