Daniel Gibby wrote:

I'm especially wondering if I need to jave apr, JK and JK2 running. I was trying to only use JK2 with unixSockets... maybe that isn't what is actually happening, eh?
Can I disable JNI?
How do I use just JK or JK2?

JNI is used mainly in two situations: starting Tomcat from within Apache's process (in-process JNI) and UNIX socket communication. If you're planning to use "channelSocket" and start Apache and Tomcat separately, you can skip JNI. JK is production grade, while JK2 is said to be "not for production". As far as I'm concerned, JK2 is the choice. I've had it in production for several months, no problem.

The examples for setting up jk / jk2 are not very clear as to what does what and what the options are...

True. I wish one of the developers would take time to just LIST the handlers and options, so we can know what to experiment with.

I know that most of the time the examples are trying to be inclusive for everything on all platforms, but what that ends up meaning is that it is hard to see what someone wants specifically for a specific platform. In my case, I just want the fastest and least buggy connection between apache 2 and tomcat 4 on RedHat Linux 9. I'm sure that enough people have that configuration that it would seem that you could find a specific example of how to set that up without including everyone else's possible configurations in the same doc.

Anyway here is my jk2.properties:
channelUnix.file=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/work/jk2.socket
shm.file=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/work/jk2.shm
handler.list=apr,channelUnix,request
channelJni.disabled = 0
apr.NativeSo=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/server/lib/jkjni.so

What defaults are set besides those that I've got here?

This looks good. Here is mine:

jk2.config
----------
# Set the desired handler list
# handler.list=apr,request,channelJni
handler.list=apr,request,channelUnix,shm
#
shm.file=${jkHome}/work/jk2.shm
apr.NativeSo=/usr/lib/apache2-extramodules/jkjni.so
request.tomcatAuthentication=false
channelUnix.file=${jkHome}/work/tomcat.sock
----------

workers2.properties
---------------------
[logger]
level=DEBUG
#
[config:]
debug=0
debugEnv=0
#
[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests. Options: debug
debug=0
# Alternate file logger
[logger.file:0]
level=DEBUG
file=/var/log/httpd/mod_jk2.log
#
[shm:]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with multiprocess servers
file=/var/run/jk2.shm
size=1000000
debug=0
disabled=0
#
[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=1
debug=0
#
[channel.un:unixsock]
info=Main socket to Tomcat engine
file=/var/tomcat4/work/tomcat.sock
#
[status:]
info=Status worker, displays runtime informations
#
[ajp13:unixsock]
info=Default AJP 1.3 worker
channel=channel.un:unixsock
#
[uri:/jkstatus/*]
info=Display status information and checks the config file for changes.
group=status:
#
[uri:www.elektrovojvodina.co.yu/racun]
info=Consumers electrical bill