Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: Form Based Authentication with Encryption

Hi Amit,
  I'm using 3.2 so details may vary.
What you want to do is write your own authentication module.
Easier than it sounds. Just take a copy of the authentication module you
are using (SimpleRealm?) to use as a base for your own code. Add in
the functionality you want, compile and include in
TOMCAT_HOME/lib/webserver.jar
Edit server.xml to use your custom authentication module.
Also, I'd recommend you look at JDBCRealm so that you can store usernames
and passwords in a database. Quite apart from the other advantages you may
then be able to take advantage of the db's encryption facilities (e.g.
MySql's
Password function) and save yourself the bother of writing your own.

Hope this helps
Andrew