At 04:22 PM 6/2/2004, you wrote:
There is a web.xml file in my catalinahome/conf
directory.  I have read that according to some
specifications somewhere, I should also have a web.xml
in every WEB-INF directory for each application.  Does
the main web.xml file apply to all applications, and
the WEB-INF web.xml just add settings to the specific
applications, or does it OVERRIDE the main web.xml (so
I would need to include ALL the entries found in the
main file in ALL of the application level web.xml
files)?

The app-specific web.xml extends the global one (information defined in the app-specific one overrides the global one, but any information not overridden is inherited).

And what would an entry look like to force one
specific file to re-direct to the secure port?  I can
only find very vague examples that secure entire
applications.

This is a Servlet spec thing -- see SRV.12.8 (Servlet2.3).

It's basically something like this in your web.xml (no
guarantees for code correctness here, but it should get you
started):

<security-constraint>
  <web-resource-collection>
    <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>