Michael Engelhart wrote:

> Ooops - sorry.  What I meant to say is that when I put the helper files in the
>WEB-INF/lib directory, I get 404 errors even accessing just a simple html page which
>has no  servlets associated with it.
>
> Thanks
> [...]

Hi :-)   with jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b1(standalone, JDK1.3, winnt40),
I find:
  - if I put MyHelper.jar into WEB-INF/lib, it works
  - if I put MyHelper.class into WEB-INF/classes,  it works
  - if I put MyHelper.class into WEB-INF/lib,  it Doesn't work

I didn't understand very clearly: did you try to access a Applet class
with html? if so, I guess perhaps you need to put MyApplet.class into
TOMVAT_HOME/webapps/Root/

and from a email in tomcat-user, perhaps the "normal" client can not
access the files in WEB-INF/  : it has a "default security".  is this the
reason for that "404" error mentioned in your email?

Bo
Mar.07, 2001