Can Tomcat handle 3000 concurrent sessions? Yes. The bottleneck will not be Tomcat, per se, but rather either hardware resources (memory on the heap) or database connections. What you really need to figure out is how *active* those 3000 users will be -- 3000 users actively querying financial data reports is VERY different than 3000 users reading today's news reports.

Point being that the question to ask is not whether Tomcat will support 3000 concurrent users. This is a question of resource availability. The question should be: can my one machine running with MY APPLICATION, Tomcat and the hardware specs you gave support 'X' simultaneous requests with a minimum/average request processing time of 'Y' milliseconds?

No one here will have the answer to that, of course.

justin

At 10:43 PM 6/14/2004, you wrote:
> Hi,
> We are planning to host a web application which is estimated to have
> around 3000 concurrent users. We are using SQL Server 2000 as database and
> Struts 1.1 framework.
>
> Our production server (i.e. web server. We're having a different
> database server.) has the foll. configuration:
> 4GB Ram
> Xenon P4 processors - 2 nos.
> Windows 2000 Professional OS
> 72 GB HDD
>
> Do you think that Tomcat is a suitable web server for our
> application?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Paresh Mondkar.

Confidential: This electronic message and all contents contain information
from Syntel, Inc. which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the
addressee only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you
have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and destroy the original message and all copies.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
Confidential. See: