Quoting Martin Monsorno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi *,
>
> I have some questions about XSLT transformations with tomcat (4 and 5).
>
> 1.) There doesn't seem to be a XSLT-processor included in TomCat.
> Isn't this mandatory for a J2EE web container?  Isn't this needed for
> the transform taglibs?
>
> 2.) When removing the xalan.jar-package from my web-app, I get the
> following error:
>
>      javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider
> org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
>
> Why does tomcat looks after the
> org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl class?  I didn't
> configured this implementation for being used.

You do realize that JDK1.4+ comes with Xalan as the default XSLT processor,
right?  You wouldn't have needed to specifically configure this implementation
because it is the default.  And you also shouldn't put xalan.jar in WEB-INF/lib
since Xalan is an "endorsed" library.  If you want to the JDK to use a newer
version of Xalan, put the new copy in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed or
CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.  I would also suggest usin the "2jars"
distribution rather than the normal distribution so that you don't end up making
BCel an endorsed library.  Xalan ships with an older version of BCel embedded in
its default jar to enable XSLTC.  The "2jars" distribution keeps the core of
Xalan and XSLTC stuff separated.

Jake