Dear friends,

I just installed tomcat 5 in my machine. I put it in the the folder c:\Program
Files\Apache Group\Apache\Tomcat 5.0. I tried to run the servlet examples and they are
ok. However, I would like to try my own servlet. I wrote the HelloWorld.java and put
it in the folder C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Tomcat
5.0\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes. I thought that I could just access it by
http://localhost:8081/servlet/HelloWorld. I was hoping that the Tomcat would compile
the java code automatically. However, it didn't happen and I got the status code 404,
stating that the servlet couldn't be found.

These are the stuff that I did
1. I set the environment variable CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE to c:\Program
Files\Apache Group\Apache\Tomcat 5.0
2. I put the description of the servlet HelloWorld to the file web.xml in the webapp
folder.

I really appreciate if I could get some helps. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Brian