From: Jim Cox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 2:58 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: when does Tomcat spawn children and/or fork ?

> : While using Tomcat 5.0.19 on Solaris 8 I occasionally see more than
> one
> : Tomcat process running (as reported by ps -aef). In each case the
"extra"
> : process is a child of the original Tomcat process, exists for no
> more
than a
> : few seconds, seems to cause no trouble, and (troublingly?) leaves no
trace
> : in the log files.
>
> Since you've ruled out JSP compilation issues, it's time for some
> detective work: are you able to trace the extra PID?
>
> In other words, does the process completley disappear, or does it
> exec() and thus become some other command?
>
> -QM

All indications are that it goes away, apparently within a few seconds.

I agree about the need for "detective work", just hoping to discover the
known areas where Tomcat can be expected to spawn new processes (and set up
test cases to examine those first). In the short-term I'll probably add a
log stmt or two directly to startup.sh / catalina.sh to either catch the
invocation or rule that out.

By the way, the only interesting thing I've found so far is that it appears
during periods of heavy load (%CPU-wise).