Tim Wills wrote:

Sorry to say but I have gone through the whole process 3 times now
(including re-installing Redhat itself) and I still get error 503 Service
Temporarily Unavailable. I reckon it must be a permissions problem but
where?

I have tried the following:
chmod 666 jk2.socket

I tried changing the path to the file workers2.properties in httpd.conf.
Doing this changes the error message to 404, page not found so the file
workers2.properties is being read.

I have done as instructed on permissions but i wonder if Apache still
doesn't have any rights to call the Tomcat engine. I have Tomcat running
fine as a standalone.

Any further ideas?

What user did you build Apache as? What group? Also, what user and group is Apache running under?

Regards, pascal chong