Ok then I think the problem is not understood ;)

My form authentication does work. In fact I scabbed the whole security sample :P

Like I noted... When I type the protected resources URL in the browser address bar. Tomcats authentication kicks in and redirects me to the login page I specified in my web.xml I type the username and password that is stored in mysql and I login. This works fine.

What I want to do is access the protected resource from an unprotected resource. For intsance on the welcome page of my web app which everyone can see. I want to add a login form which will login the user and give him access to the protect resource.

One solution is to just put a "Sign-In" link which will in turn try to access the protected resource, but since the visitor is not logged in, he will be redirected to the login page.

The other solution which I want is to offer a login page directly on the welcome page. Of course I canot just put a form on the welcome page with action="<%=request.encodeURL("j_security_check")%>" The browser wouldn't know where to post to.

Yiannis Mavroukakis wrote:

<english>
Anastasie I think what Robert means is you should "steal" some code
from the existing examples in Tomcat.
</english>

<greek>
Yparxoune epishs kai alloi tropoi pou boreis na to kaneis ayto..boreis
kalista na exeis authentication mesw tou Apache kai enos module
pou koitaei gia valid accounts sthn mySQL sou.
</greek>

Happy coding,

Yiannis