Sayeed

First I would suggest creating a web.xml and place that in your WEB-INF/ folder. The web.xml allows, among other things, you to set-up servlet-mappings which will for one make the current URL you are using a lot shorter, secondly because the invoker servlet is now set to off by default registering your servlets in the web.xml will make sure that Tomcat is aware off them and calls them successfully. Copy the below text into a editor and save it as web.xml and place it in your apps WEB-INF folder.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<!--
Sun Public License Notice

The contents of this file are subject to the Sun Public License
Version 1.0 (the "License"). You may not use this file except in
compliance with the License. A copy of the License is available at
http://www.sun.com/

The Original Code is NetBeans. The Initial Developer of the Original
Code is Sun Microsystems, Inc. Portions Copyright 1997-2000 Sun
Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
-->
<web-app>
<servlet>
   <servlet-name>sayeed</servlet-name>
   <servlet-class>com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
   <servlet-name>sayeed</servlet-name>
   <url-pattern>*.sayeed</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
<session-config>
   <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>
<welcome-file-list>
   <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
   <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

Restart Tomcat and then enter the following URL:
http://localhost:8080/ch03/process.sayeed

You can learn more about the web.xml and all of it's features at the following URL: http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61/webapp/web_xml.html

Sayeed wrote:

Hi to all

Sir/Madam

Please help me someone regarding my first WebApplication (Servlet):

I created  directories :
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ch03\WEB-IN\classes\com\wrox\projsp\ch03\myfirstwebapp

Then into my sayeed class i starated with a first line as:

package com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp
and other coding stuff.... for the java class..

I compile this java file (sayeed) and it compiled sucessfully and saved
into:
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ch03\WEB-IN\classes\com\wrox\projsp\ch03\myfirstwebapp
\sayeed.class

Now after startup my tomcat server i put this into url browser which gives
error:

http://localhost:8080/ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed

the error is:

type Status report

message /ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed

description The requested resource
(/ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed) is not available.

Can anyone please help me? thanx in advance

Saeed