The docs you've described are mostly for if you want custom Tomcat
components (such as Valves or Realms).  You'd want something basic like:
  MBeanServer mserver =
(MBeanServer)MBeanServerFactory.findMBeanServer(null).get(0);
  ObjectName loader = new
ObjectName("Catalina:type=WebappClassLoader,path=/myapp,host=localhost");
  ObjectName mylight = new ObjectName("MyApp:type=lightbulb");
  mserver.createMBean("scratch.LightBulbDynamicMBean", mylight, loader);

Of course, you have to change the host and path to match your app, and the
domain of the loader to match the Engine name if you've changed it from its
default value.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/mbeans-descriptor-howto.html