Hi Matt,

I almost deleted your message, because today I was inundated by spam !

Not sure if you are starting Tomcat from the command prompt. I know that when you install on Win9x, you can get some funky errors. This is a hint from another site that I can't seem to get access to:

You may need to extend the environment space. Click on *Windows* Start button, then Run, then type sysedit. Add the following to the C:\CONFIG.SYS:

 shell=c:\*windows*\*command*.com /p /e:4096

Also checked out this URL: http://johnturner.com/howto/winxp-howto.html

Hope this helps !!

Regards.
pascal

Matt Buffington wrote:

Hello all.

I am a new user of Tomcat4, running on a Windows 2000 server.  I am a
Canto Cumulus user; Tomcat4 is used to publish my image database.  I
have upgraded all my software recently (including Tomcat4), and after
following ALL of the suggestions of Canto, I cannot get Tomcat4 to start
(whether using the startup.bat file or manually starting through the
Manager.  I get an error message that tells me Windows cannot start
Tomcat4, and this may be a Windows error, and I should see the
administrator.  I get no log files to check.

I have installed the JRsdk 1.4.2_05, and verified that JAVA_HOME is set
correctly.

Has anyone encountered this type of error, and if so, what sort of
solutions are needed?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

M.L. Buffington