I've written a kind of quick start guide that hopefully will be useful to you. You can find it here : http://cymulacrum.net. Just scroll down and look for the Tomcat 4 on Linux link. I'm currently updating my Tomcat 5 write-up with help from some volunteers. I've stopped updating my Tomcat 4 write-up, so if you find anything there that doesn't work, please post to this mailing list.

Regards,
pascal chong

Stephen Charles Huey wrote:

Sounds good to me!  Usually when we move Tomcat to a new Windows
machine, we just use that same executable zip
(jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27.exe) to install Tomcat on the new machine, and
then copy over our directories from the original machine to replace the
Tomcat directory that got created.  I know this might be a really dumb
question, but will that .exe file run and install everything on the
Linux box, or will I have to use jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27.zip and extract
everything?  It's all slowly and hazily making sense...I hope...on Red
Hat I won't have to "install" it quite as "much" as Windows which needs
to put things into the registries, etc, right?  So I just extract it and
put some kind of symbolic link to the Tomcat executable in usr/local/bin
or something like that, huh?  But will that be enough to mimic the
functionality we usually have, since typically on Windows we run it as a
service?  Sorry for my rambling...

----- Original message ----- From: "Robert F. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:21:24 -0700 Subject: Re: installing tomcat 4.1.27 on linux

Howdy,

Tomcat is written in Java and is OS independent, you don't need a linux specific install.
We have the same Tomcat install running on Solaris, Linux, and Windoze.

-Robert

Stephen Charles Huey wrote:

We're moving Tomcat over to a Linux box, and we're under pressure to get
it done as quickly as possible and put it into production right away
even though none of us knows Linux all that well beyond me using Solaris
back in my school days!  So, I'm looking for Tomcat 4.1.27 for Linux,
and I don't see that available here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

However, in searching around, I found this, and I'm wondering if this is
the right thing for me to be using:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9.0/i386/suse/i586/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27-63.i586.html

I've heard about RPM only in the last day or so when looking around for
utilities for Linux.  I'll probably want the RPM version for Tomcat,
right?  This page talks about RPM:

http://www.rpm.org/

But I'm wondering if it comes with Red Hat 8 (I can't tell yet--my boss
is installing Red Hat across town and I'm just doing my homework so I'm
ready to roll when he's done with all the things he has to do on his
end).

Thanks,
Stephen

Pascal Chong