just as a gues.... have you sat the Sticky or the UID bit of your directory?

Shapira, Yoav escribió:

Hola,
This is typical of when apps step outside the Servlet Spec, which does
not include support for apps writing files except to a temporary
directory where permissions are guaranteed to be readable back by the
app and no more.

Tomcat supports running with a security manager, but you have to tell it
so explicitly by specifying -security when launching Tomcat.  If you're
doing this, you will need to modify your java security policy to include
setting file permissions.  But my guess is you're running without a
security manager, which is OK and the default.

So Runtime.exec should work.  You will need to pass it the complete path
to the file, as you cannot rely on the concept of "current working
directory" to be portable.  Runtime.exec is also a security risk in most
environments.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics