LOL.... that's true..... i think yoav gave you the right solution.... try embedding your xml processor offending fragment into a <jsp:text><![CDATA[ .... ]]</jsp:text>.... that should do the work

It is my understanding that if an XML document is serialized to an output stream, characters like &, < and > are represented by their entities &amp; &gt; &lt so an XML parser can parse the document again.

Otherwise I would be ending up writing &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; somewhen and have to count the number of transformations in advance )-: