Nobody who can explain this tomcat5w.exe or refer to documentation about it ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Quinten Verheyen
Sent: 02 September 2004 19:23
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: usage tomcat5w ?

---
Unless the context's "reloadable" attr is set to true, Tomcat won't reload *any*
classes until a context (re)start.
---

The directory containing those classes isn't part of any web root context (where you
could indeed set the 'reloadable' attribute, but that's not advised on production
environments). The root is just given as a classpath param in the tomcat5w.exe
program. So I assume it's part of the Tomcat ClassLoader because any new/updated class
in that root gets picked up by the container without any reload/restart.
I have to say I can't find much documentation about that tomcat5w.exe.

---
Generally speaking, it's best for the long-term to follow the spec's and Tomcat's
guidelines for where to put things.  That simplifies upgrades and makes it easier to
determine whether a problem lies in the container's code or yours.
That said, there are a million ways to run a shop, half of which are "right."
Sometimes it's necessary to deviate from the norm.
---

I personally don't see any reason to deviate from the tomcat dev standard convention,
in this case I guess it's done to avoid container restart. But that's a pretty weak
argument if one can deploy/undeploy webapps remotely through the manager app, don't
you think ?

Thanks for the feedback btw,

Quinten