Yep.... there are lots :-D.... David, as long as you adhere to the servlet specification, there won't be any problems at all (off course, there's always a glitch here and there). I think servlets have been sufficiently backwards compatible until now, however, that's my opinion (i started using the tomcat 3 branch a long time ago and all the knowledge i acquired since then has been of use to me on the 5 branch).

John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos
Computadores Flor Hard Soft 2058 C.A.
www.florhard.com

Shapira, Yoav escribió:

Hi,

Is there any particular incompatibility that concerns you? I have been
using the same apps basically from an early version of 4 with no

changes

required to upgrade other than small changes to web.xml etc to fall in

line

with the newer servlet specs which tomcat has to follow and is not in

the

Tomcat developers control.

I've been the same way, as a tomcat user. The key is in designing and implementing your app to the Servlet Specification, minimizing dependence on container-specific behavior.

If you are concerned then you don't need to upgrade, there are many

people

on this list still running versions 3 or 4 of tomcat. In fact, unless

you

are affected by bugs that are subsequently fixed or require the new
features or more performance there isnt really a good arguement to

upgrade.

Well, I'd argue there are many good reasons to keep upgrading, but there
are already enough other threads on the mailing list with that argument
;)

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.