When I suggested using Apache I implied that Apache would be on a separate
physical server. If possible even dynamic content can have static images
that can be served up using Apache. Our application tracks references to the
dynamic images that are stored in an application managed directory structure
on the filesystem. The only thing Tomcat needs to do is generate the HTML
pages, the web server handles all of the media requests.

Otherwise your Tomcat instance is handling all of the requests thru a single
network interface (unless you have multiple NICs and Ips) which will cause a
significant issue under load and makes your application much harder to scale
in a data center.

Tomcat may be "nearly" as fast as Apache at serving images, but why burden
it doing twice the work. I think the whole mod_jk thing is very poorly
implemented. I haven't tried mod_jk2 - hopefully it is more efficient and
easier to implement.

--
Dov Rosenberg
Conviveon Corporation