I just did that. I have a WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties file with the following:

# initialise root logger with level DEBUG and call it A1
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1
# set the appender to be FileAppender
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
# set set that layout to be SimpleLayout
log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout

I have this in the java code:
Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(Helper.class);
PropertyConfigurator.configure("log4j.properties");

I get the following exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: log4j.properties (No such file or directory)
at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.j ava:297)