Is that 3-4 connections or 3-4 queries? If it isn't a DNS resolution issue or another task running on a server (both as mentioned in another response) I would suggest you review you DB connection strategy.

Does the slowdown occur at the same time as a higher than normal volume of hits?

Consider getting all of the data and dumping to variables *before* formatting. If using multiple connections to the DB try reducing to a single connection. If using a single connection try implementing a DB connection pool.

Other than those things not much comes to mind at the moment.

PJ

Roman Zhovtulya wrote:

Dear Sirs,
I wonder if anyone had anything similar before.
I'm running some JSP/Java Bean websites under Tomcat (on one PC as a
stand-alone server, on another in connection with Apache).

The website is a dynamic (3-tier architechture) connects to MySQL
database to get the content to display any page (around 3-4 connections
per page).

Normally the performance is really good, but about once a day it gets
really slow (around 1-5 minutes to display the page). It also recovers
autocatically to normal response time when you simply wait 5-10 minutes.

Any ideas?

I'm running Tomcat 4.05 with Apache on RedHat 8.0 (one PC) as well as
Tomcat 4.127 on SuSE 9.0 with MySQL 4.015.

I'm closing all db-connections in JSP/JavaBeans, so I don't think it's a
db-issue.

I'd highly appreciate any help on the topic.

Thank you very much,
Roman Zhovtulya

------------------------------------------------------- Roman Y. Zhovtulya Manager

InternetServiceCenter
Fachbereich Medien und Informationswesen
FH Offenburg

InternetServiceCenter bietet In-House Beratung,
professionelle und preiswerte Entwicklung von individueller Software
Lösungen in Bereich Internet, WWW, Datenbanken, etc
----

Kostenlose vor-Ort Istanalyse und "Sparpotenzialanalyse" für potenzielle
Kunden.

Sprechen Sie uns an:

InternetServiceCenter
Offenburg University of Applied Sciences
Room B205a
Badstr. 24, Offenburg
D-77652 Germany

VoIP ID (Skype): romanlutsk (mehr unter www.skype.com)