Raasi Potluri wrote:

I'm just a beginner and I have installed Tomcat5.0 and
try to run a simple servlet. I have copied the
compiled servlet on the webapps/root/WEB-INF/classes
and added the servlet name and servlet mapping in the
web.xml file. I'm trying to call my HelloClientServlet
from http://localhost:3030/servlet/HelloClientServlet
from the web browser, after restarting the tomcat http
server it says the follwing

my tomcat server is listening at port 3030

HTTP Status 404 - /servlet

type Status report

message /servlet

description The requested resource (/servlet) is not
available.

Since you copied your servlet to the root web & I've assumed that you've created a ServletContext using /HelloClientServlet
I think need to use this url http://localhost/HelloClientServlet

Apache Tomcat/5.0.28

and I have tried to run a simple example JSP already
in the examples folder, it gives me the follwing error

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error
() that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile
class for JSP

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:97)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:346)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:414)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:472)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)

root cause

Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.CompilerAdapterFactory.getCompiler(CompilerAdapterFactory.java:106)

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:935)

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:764)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:382)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:472)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 logs.

Apache Tomcat/5.0.28

Copy the tools.jar from your JDK installation to the $TOMCAT_DIR/common/lib
where $TOMCAT_DIR is where you have your installed tomcat binaries.

please help me, i'm troubling with this error since
three days and I have read lot of manuals and changed
the class path and set the jdk home and catalina home
as environment variable, still this error, please help
me

regards, raasi