Hi,
First, please don't blindly tune anything.  Change one parameter at a
time, and measure the impact using a program like JMeter, Grinder, ab,
wget, or whatever load tester you like.  For example, chances are the
minProcessors/maxProcessors advice in the other response to your message
is irrelevant, and by increasing those you'll just be taking away CPU
resources from the code that needs those resources.

>I have an application which is just a front-end for a main-frame. The
>process on the mainframe which my application calls takes 8 seconds to
>complete so I am trying to make my Java application as fast as possible
so
>that there is as little time as possible wasted.

How much time does your Java app take now?  If it's significantly less
than 8 seconds (say, less than 3 sec) don't bother tuning it, and focus
instead of tuning the mainframe call if at all possible.

>Can anybody give any tips or sites for speeding up Tomcat/Java/Webapps?

There are a ton of sites online about Java performance tuning.  But
again, if your app already does its thing in less than 3 seconds and the
mainframe takes 8, you're wasting your time and reducing the
maintainability of your code (most likely) but tuning it further.

>Can anybody tell me if using <jsp:useBean> tags to pass an entire
object to
>a JSP is a slow way of doing things? Am I quicker passing a list of
strings
>using various request.setAttribute() methods? Or is this insignificant?

Insignificant for the most part.

>I am really stuck because I don't know how to choose the best way of
going
>forward. If I can't significantly improve the speed of the app. I
should
>just abandon the project but that is not desirable as you can imagine!

Are there alternatives to the mainframe call?  Or ways to tune the code
on the mainframe rather than your own?

Yoav

and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by
anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately