This is an apples to orangles comparison.

commons-logging and log4j are for logging devloper errors and for debugging statements. Its purpose is for logging errors, stack traces, etc instead of using System.out.println()

Access logs are pages or any other HTTP based request. There are free products such as Webalyzer and analog. Or $$ products such as webtrends. Other people hate weblogs so much they don't use them an instead rely on javascript tagging services such as Omniture.

-Tim

Justin Jaynes wrote:
The general
answer I've seen in the past is that you should use
log analysis tools

Unfortunatly, I have never been introduced to log
analysis tools. Could you give me a quick pointer in
the right direction for a good, popular log analyzer? Then I can study up. I would appreciate the help so
much.

And I have not done much research on logging in
Tomcat, so I am reading the texts on the jakarta
website.  However, the tomcat/faq/logging.html page
states that logging previous to 5.5 is provided as a
LOGGER element and in 5.5, as COMMONS-LOGGING.

I am using 5.0.28 on my production server.  Do I have
to wait until 5.5 comes out stable to use
COMMONS-LOGGING?