> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> You need to schedule down time for the server.  Perhaps a
> night time window like 3am when usage is minimal.  Then do
> the upgrade.

An alternative, if you have the hardware for it, would be to install the
new app version on new hardware but using the same database and other
resources as the old version.  Then change your DNS to point to the new
version, wait a day or so for that to propagate through the DNS caches,
shut down and upgrade the old server, restart that old server with the new
version, change your DNS settings back, wait a day or so, and then turn
off your new hardware.

This presupposes that the new and old apps are compatible at the data
layer, and that it's only the code that differs.  Clearly, if they are
not, you're going to have to stop the service at some point to change the
schema.

Just my €0.02 (it's a stronger currency than $0.02 at the moment ;-) )

                - Peter