The IDE suggested by others may already have this
features, but Apache Axis tcpmon is a neat tool to
have if you do not use IDE's.  It allows you to see
what is being sent to a servlet running on Tomcat and
vice versa, the response coming out. Easy to use, as
it is an applet and run like so:

java -cp axis.jar org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon 8081
localhost 8080

It basically sits between Tomcat and your
browser/client app. You get to monitor the interaction
between browser and Tomcat.   Good Luck.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/index.html