When Mysql is at 100%, you go to the Mysql list and ask for help.;)

A database at 100% could be any number of reasons:
1) A bad join
2) An inefficient query
3) Not enough memory on the server
4) Not enough memory for Mysql
5) Lack of indexes or poor index choices
6) ...

Get a second machine. Performance tuning will be much much easier todo.

-Tim

Chris Cherrett wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I had the client do just that this afternoon.

Tomcat averaged 15% CPU
Mysql spiked the CPU usage to 100% when hit with long queries.

Would this be an indication of the need for RAM, or the need for a faster CPU?

They are running 360MB of RAM. P3 450

Thanks