I use Oracle but I don't use Oracle's implementation of pooling because I
found DBCP + commons-pooling did a great job in connection pooling.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: December 6, 2004 3:33 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: DBCP/JNDI/Realms

Hi,
The DBCP parameters are for DBCP.  DBCP won't magically set various
properties on your IBM driver, so if you want those set you have to do it
yourself.

If you use IBM's pooling, as opposed to IBM's driver with DBCP's pooling,
you can set those properties in your Tomcat xml configuration, as long as
the factory provided by IBM supports that approach.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

pr

>>epar
>>

>>>eStatement(PoolingDataSource.java(Compiled
>>>Code))
>>>       at
>>>org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm.credentials(DataSourceRealm
.j

>>ava:
>>

>>>460)
>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>Here's the next one:
>>>2004-12-06 04:39:21 DataSourceRealm[]: Exception performing
>>>

>>authentication
>>

>>>org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection,
>>>pool exhausted
>>>       at
>>>org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSo
ur

>>ce.j
>>

>>>ava(Compiled
>>>Code))
>>>       at
>>>org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource
.j

>>ava(
>>

>>>Compiled
>>>Code))
>>>       at
>>>org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm.open(DataSourceRealm.java:4
38

>>)
>>

>>>       at
>>>org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm.authenticate(DataSourceReal
m.

>>java
>>

>>>:277)
>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>So, what I've done now to see if it helps matters any, is specify the
>>>AS400's own connection pool factory in my JNDI definition, like so:
>>>
>>>     <parameter>
>>>       <name>factory></name>
>>>
>>><value>com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionPoolDataSource</value>
>>>     </parameter>
>>>
>>>Both Tomcat's form authentication as well as my application (through
>>>iBATiS) use this JNDI DataSource for connections.
>>>
>>>Can anyone shed more light on what the root cause of the problem is
>>>here? Should DBCP gracefully recover?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Brice Ruth
>>>
>>>--
>>>Brice Ruth, Sr. IT Analyst
>>>Fiskars Brands Inc
>>>http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/

>>>For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

intended
system
>and notify the sender.  Thank you.

>--