Personally, it seems like truly off-topic messages get tagged pretty quickly on this list. I think that's a reasonable solution to handle this problem.

As for the *root* of the problem, the VAST majority of questions come from novice users who, predictably, don't know the difference between a "Tomcat" question and "Servlet/JSP" question. For most people, there *is* no difference. From that standpoint, it's artificial to say that some questions are "Tomcat" ones and others aren't -- they are all "Tomcat-related" and, as such, I feel like this is an appropriate place to address them. IMHO, asking a novice user to take it elsewhere would be a fairly cruel thing to do to an already confused and potentially frustrated user.

That said, lengthly threads that banter about the merits of various JSRs and specs clearly don't belong here and should either be relocated or (more likely), marked OT.

justin

At 06:56 PM 12/8/2004, you wrote:
On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 17:41, Roberto Cosenza wrote:
> I'm not talking about moderating but about informing the users that this is
> not the right place.
> Many important (and related) question do not get enough attention in this
> sea of messages.
> /rob

I think this page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html
does that.

Specifically here:
"Join the lists that are appropriate for your discussion.
Please make sure that you are joining the list that is appropriate for
the topic or product that you would like to discuss. For example, please
do not join the Regexp mailing list and ask questions about Tomcat.
Instead, you should join the Tomcat User list and ask your questions
there."

And here:

It is also customary on this list, as it is on others, to begin the
subject of your post with [OT] or [OFF TOPIC] for threads, like this
one, that don't deal directly with Tomcat issues.  This allows people
who don't want to wade through off topic discussions to skip right by
them.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Lead Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com