+1. you aren't being clear .... the only reason I can think you have an
application wishing to talk to a servlet is that you are then going on to
request info from the servlet from a remote machine across the net?? .. in that
case and most others you should have your application polling the servlet
itself in a thread. you'll need to explain your scenario if this is inaccurate,
i.e if the Java App is in fact also a web app.

JAVA APPLICATION || TOMCAT + SERVLET || INTERNET || REMOTE MACHINE

     ----- POLL 30s ----->
     <------ RESPONSE ----

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software