I extended it and placed the class "com.xxx.realm.classname"  in the
server/classes folder for Tomcat 4.1.24.  It's working, but I don't use
any of the class methods in my application. And you need to name the
class in server.xml as Pandu states.
<Host ...
    <Context...
      <Realm  className="com.xxx.realm.classname" ...

Regards, Bob Feretich